Prince Edward Island
With approval to re-establish a legislative library service granted by the Legislative Assembly in September of 2007, progress on once again creating the Legislative Library of Prince Edward Island has begun in earnest.
Historically, the Legislative Library was first created with the establishment of the Legislature in 1773, though it wasnâ€™t until the Colonial Building â€“ what is known today as Province House â€“ opened in 1847, that the Library had space dedicated for its collection and services. Located at the head of the stairs on the second floor of Province House, between the Legislative Council Chamber and the Assembly Chamber, the Legislative Library housed the records and documents of what was a bicameral House. Today, the Legislative Library has been restored to the 1864 Confederation period.
With a bequest of $5,000.00 in 1905 from the Hon. Thomas W. Dodd for the creation of a public library, however, the nature of the Legislative Library began to change. The public library collection â€“ known as the Dodd Library â€“ was housed in the Legislative Library and by 1971, after continued growth of the public library and movement of the combined collection away from Province House, the Legislative Library was made a responsibility of the Department of Education and became an adjunct of the Confederation Centre Public Library.
The Library today is located on the first floor of the Hon. George Coles Building, beside Province House, and renovations to the libraryâ€™s space will soon be complete. A core collection of current and recent annual reports, fiscal plans, House publications, newspapers, periodicals, and general reference works has been established, along with a small non-fiction collection in the areas of public administration, economics, sustainable agricultural practices, and biodiversity. The annual materials budget is approximately $20,000.
A permanent staff of two â€“ a professional librarian and a research officer â€“ provide research and reference services to House Committees, Members, and House staff. The public is welcome to use the Library, but may not borrow materials.